Monday, January 17, 2005

Works in Progress

Well, as I noted before, this is going to take a while. I have been transposing about a song a day from treble clef to bass clef, all in pencil by hand. Sure, there's probably a better way. Over the weekend, I practiced about 4 hours Saturday and 3 or so on Sunday. I've been working on some popular love songs as noted earlier. Also, P. bought me a book of Scottish and Celtic cello tunes. I spent a lot of time working on some of that. Tonight (Monday) I really need to practice some more. I transcribed most of "If I Fall" (Beatles, 1964) while I waited to take B. home from her ballet class. I feel like I'm on the verge of breaking through to another level of performance. I have worked so hard on flashy classical solos, I forgot the reason people listen to live music. The Burt Bacharach is promising and I am looking forward to learning the other songs too.

I resolve to be better than just gig-ready. I want to be part of elevating cello on par with guitar.

When we watched Master and Commander I was pleasantly surprised to see cello featured.