Sunday, August 07, 2005

Mason County Fair

I played a total of six performances at the Mason County Fair, July 29, 30 and 31 on the Olympic (concession) indoor stage. I stuck with contemporary music mostly, only playing a couple of classical pieces and a couple of my own compositions; most of my arrangements were of pieces written between 1920 and 2003. Each of my sets was about an hour, with two each day Friday (I used a vacation day from my day job), Saturday and Sunday. The fair was fun, and I enjoyed the ambience, food and other acts such as the Elvis impersonator, JP Patches the clown, the Smilin' Scandinavians, Null, Strangers With Candy and others. The attendance was not huge, but it was okay, so my audience varied in size but I don't think I played for more than 75 people at any given point in time. It was so hot I wore short sleeved dress shirts instead of my tuxedo shirt, and I didn't wear a tie. The sound guy did a great job, so I was able to clearly announce my songs, and everyone could hear me. At one point as I played, one of their amps blew out, and they had it replaced with backup equipment in about 15 minutes. I also like to thank Gretchen for having me play; I really had a good time, and people tell me they enjoyed hearing me perform.