Sunday, September 10, 2006

Winetasting, Walter Dacon Winery Shelton

Friday, September 8, 2006 the Rachel Knott Guild held a Children's Hospital Benefit winetasting at Walter Dacon Winery in Shelton. I would like to thank Barbara McDowell for including me as entertainment for this wonderful event. My wife and I really enjoyed the winetasting, the food and the stories we shared with members of this great group of people.
For this event, which was held outdoors from 6:00-8:00 pm, I warmed up with a classical piece, then played a wide selection of music from my jazz standards, classic pop covers and other American and British music, emphasizing the period of 1930-1970. As is usually the case, I needed no amplification for my unaccompanied cello solos, yet everyone could hear me, as well as their pleasant conversations with each other over wine and assorted kabobs. It was one of the rare occasions on which I have left my tuxedo jacket on, as the late summer evening breeze was just right. Although I often forget to take a break, I was glad I remembered this time as the food was simply excellent, as was the wine; though I was careful not to overindulge, so that I could keep my performance sharp. From the genuine, glowing compliments I was given by so many members of the Rachel Knott Guild, everything fit right into place for a wonderful event: people, wine, food and entertainment. I am pleased to have been a part of this benefit for Children's Hospital, and I look forward to hearing from this organization in the future.
I would like to thank Ann and Lloyd Anderson and their employees for all the little details that make the Walter Dacon Winery and its wines among the best in the Northwest, and in the world as well. Walter Dacon's three Syrahs have recently won gold, double-gold, and a 91 Wine Spectator rating, yet the winery has only been operating for only a year or two now. Years from now, wine critics will doubtless revel about how this little winery has maintained such greatness from the very beginning.