Sunday, December 25, 2005

Journal Christmas Party, Burgermaster, Shelton, Thursday December 22

I was early for this one to get set up and warmed up, because it started at 7:00 a.m. I have worked for the Shelton-Mason County Journal for over 12 years now, and I truly am grateful that Henry hired me all those years ago, God rest his soul. I'm sure most companies have parties and traditions similar to ours, but the Journal is a family business, and they treat us like family. So I played a few songs as people came in to the banquet room at Burgermaster, then put my cello on its stand and enjoyed Christmas breakfast with my co-workers, and played a few more songs as they left after exchanging gifts and having a good time together.

Later, by request, I played a few songs in the lobby of the Journal as people came in to buy the issue with the Children's Christmas drawings. Why? Just because I wanted to. Thank you Charlie, Julie, Stephen, Fern, Harvey, Diane, Roger, Sean, Rebecca, Mary, Steve, Jeff, Koleen, Colleen, Donna, Kathy, Nick, Kelly, Clint, Margot, Jan, and everyone else at the paper--just for being who you are, and doing what you do.

'07 Update: This year was the same as the past couple of years, except I Will Adams from the Journal's composing department joined me on guitar. As a retired professional performer and guitar teacher, Will is really fun to work with. The Journal has just happened to be the place of employment for a number of musicians over the years, including Stephen (keys, vocals), Roger (drums, vox., gtr., deceased), Harvey (saxophone), Jan (violin), and Charlie (record players...) Happy Holidays everybody!